I have been training since February 2009 with the goal of completing a cycling tour from Portland, Oregon, to Tybee Island, Georgia in 30 days. The PAC Tour group embarked on July 5th and we are traveling about 3600 miles and climbing approximately 124,000 cumulative feet. Please enjoy sharing my journey across America.
I am asking friends, family, and anybody else interested in following the trip to consider supporting this trip by making a donation to Seattle Children's Hospital, Research, and Foundation. Art and Kristin Reeck have made Children's a priority in their philanthropic efforts over the years, and I laud their achievements. I encourage donations to the Uncompensated Care Fund, to help pay the bills for children without insurance, or with inadequate insurance to pay their bills...lifting the financial and emotional burden from the children and their families. Indicate Jay Across America as the occasion for the donation so we can total the money raised.
Hopefully, someday, we won't have to raise money for causes like this. For now, however, I thank you for your support.
The donation total will be updated occasionally...Consider a donation per mile or vertical foot climbed...and follow on the GPS link, where you can see the route, the speed, the ride profile, the weather, and-yes-my heart rate.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pac tour day 26


Finally, we left a hotel in the morning without the company of rain. The motoring commenced with Jonathan Page at the helm, piloting about 12 of us along at about 22 miles per hour essentially until the first sag wagon. Upon arrival at the stop, we all were completely drenched in persperation - and I mean soaked...it looked more like we got out of a pool than off of a bike.
The rest of the ride through Alabama was very pleasant today, highlighted by a peaceful crossing of the Alabama river. My favorite church sign today was, "God gets knee mail." My most pathetic sign award goes to the Governor-endorsed Alabama public television sign for "Progress thru Education." The assasination of English grammar and spelling continues.
The storms arrived this afternoon to give us cover from the suddenly unbearable heat, and drench us for several minutes. The showers let up as we arrived in Pine Apple, Alabama - a very small town with a post office...and I think that's about it. The ride to the hotel from Pine Apple was made possible by Jonathan Page and Elanore for letting me tag along, seeing as though my mental motivation checked out and left.
On the subject of church signs, I think there is a book of "punny" sayings for pastors...or maybe a web site. Some others I recall: "Forbidden fruit creates bad jams," "The best supplement for a Christian is B1," and "Seven days without prayer makes 1 weak."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates on your trip progress and the peek inside America's grammar (I agree) :)
    Keep up the great pedaling! Stay safe. - Joann R - PMMC

    ReplyDelete