I have been training since February 2009 with the goal of completing a cycling tour from Portland, Oregon, to Tybee Island, Georgia in 30 days. The PAC Tour group embarked on July 5th and we are traveling about 3600 miles and climbing approximately 124,000 cumulative feet. Please enjoy sharing my journey across America.
I am asking friends, family, and anybody else interested in following the trip to consider supporting this trip by making a donation to Seattle Children's Hospital, Research, and Foundation. Art and Kristin Reeck have made Children's a priority in their philanthropic efforts over the years, and I laud their achievements. I encourage donations to the Uncompensated Care Fund, to help pay the bills for children without insurance, or with inadequate insurance to pay their bills...lifting the financial and emotional burden from the children and their families. Indicate Jay Across America as the occasion for the donation so we can total the money raised.
Hopefully, someday, we won't have to raise money for causes like this. For now, however, I thank you for your support.
The donation total will be updated occasionally...Consider a donation per mile or vertical foot climbed...and follow on the GPS link, where you can see the route, the speed, the ride profile, the weather, and-yes-my heart rate.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pac tour Day 18


We rode backroads today that were pretty rough (understatement of the day – bunny-hopping and cyclocross skills came in handy), but didn’t have much traffic. I chatted with Jeanine between the first and second sags, and then rode solo for the rest of the day. The backroads consisted of rollers with a pretty strong 45 degree headwind to “keep it real.” I did see a turtle crossing the road and another pancaked armadillo…and that’s about it. My legs felt a bit sluggish today, so I’m aiming for 10 hours of sleep tonight…and I promise to avoid chicken fried steak (last night’s meal). Fortunately, it didn’t top 100 today either, so the hydration is up to snuff. Oh, this is a big town, so I finally got the haircut I meant to get before departure.

1 comment:

  1. Over half way, it's in the bag! Today was my last day of work, I am officially on vacation. It is great seeing the pictures and getting an up date on your travels. Stay strong.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete